Live Exchange Rates - XAG/JPY
Current tradable exchange rates, live from OANDA fxTrade
Understanding live exchange rates
OANDA is electronically connected to numerous global banks to access the best currency rates for its forex traders, and electronic algorithms on OANDA’s fxTrade servers update exchange rates tick-by-tick, in periods of less than a second. The currency rates shown on this page are updated less frequently, but are still a close reflection of the rates available to forex traders right now.
XAG/JPY at a Glance
Silver (Currency Code: XAG)
- Chemical symbol: Ag, from the Latin argentums
- Silver is a metallic chemical element that has the form of a soft, white, lustrous metal.
- Silver coins are possibly the oldest mass produced form of standardized money tokens, used as coinage since Ancient Greece.
- Silver bullion coins are purchased to hedge against currency inflation or as a store of value.
- Silver is used to make ornaments, jewelry, tableware and utensils, and in a variety of industrial applications.
Japanese Yen (Currency code: JPY)
- Central bank: The Bank of Japan
- Since its defeat in World War II, Japan has become one of the world's largest and most technologically advanced manufacturers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, and so on.
- The JPY has appreciated against USD since the 1970s, making Japan’s manufactured goods more costly and less competitive.
- The Bank of Japan keeps interest rates at near-zero, making JPY a popular “carry trade” currency against other higher-yielding currencies.