Home > Currency Tools > Currency Facts > VEF
The Bolívar Fuerte has been the official currency of Venezuela since January 1, 2008. It is subdivided into 100 céntimos and replaced the Bolivar at the rate of Bs.F. 1 = Bs. 1,000 due to inflation.
- The economy of Venezuela is largely based on the petroleum sector, which accounts for roughly a third of the GDP, around 80% of total exports, and more than half of government operating revenues.
- Venezuela is the fifth-largest member of OPEC by oil production.
- From the 1950s to the early 1980s the Venezuelan economy experienced a steady growth that attracted many immigrants.
- During the collapse of oil prices in the 1980s the economy contracted. With high oil prices and rising government expenditures, Venezuela's economy grew by 9% in 2007, but was expected to shrink by 2.9% in 2009 and further in 2010.
- Venezuela has one of the highest inflation rates in the world, averaging 29.1% in 2010, according to the CIA world fact book.
- The Bolivar was adopted by the monetary law of 1879, replacing the short-lived venezolano at a rate of 5 Bolivares = 1 Venezolano.
- Initially, the Bolívar was on the silver standard, equal to 4.5 g fine silver, following the principles of the Latin monetary union. The monetary law of 1887 made the gold Bolívar unlimited legal tender, and the gold standard came into full operation in 1910.
- Venezuela went off the gold standard in 1930, and in the 1934 the Bolívar exchange rate was fixed in terms of the US Dollar at a rate of 3.914 Bolivares = 1 USD.
- In 1937, it was revalued to 3.18 Bolivares = 1 USD, a rate which lasted until 1941.
- Until February 18, 1983, now called Black Friday by many Venezuelans, the Bolívar had been the most stable and internationally accepted currency.
Symbols and Names
- Symbols: Bs.F or Bs.
- Nicknames: none
ISO 4217 Code
- Céntimo = 1/100 of a Franc
- Bills: Bs.F. 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100
- Coins: Bs.F. 0.01. 0.05, 0.10, 0.12½, 0.25, 0.50, 1
Countries Using This Currency
Currencies Pegged To VEF :
VEF Is Pegged To:
- United States Dollar = Bs.F. 4.30